Latest News Headlines
On-Air Now
Listen Live
Facebook

Fire Service says member of public had a "lucky escape"

Fri, 24 Aug 2012


A well meaning member of the public had a lucky escape yesterday after a fire in Douglas.

 

Fire crews were called to a shop on Granville Street just before 2pm and found the fire was contained in the external electrical intake outside.

The member of the public had extinguished the fire using a foam/water based fire extinguisher however it wasn’t the ideal choice for this type of incident.

 

The Fire Service says that with the high voltages involved the person was extremely lucky not to be electrocuted.

Firefighters worked with engineers from the Manx Electricity Authority to isolate the electricity supply, and some businesses in Strand Street were affected by a power outage.

 

An ambulance was also called to the scene to attend to a young boy who had burnt his hand in the incident.
 


 

Subscribe to get Energy FM News direct to your mobile device

You can get Energy FM News delivered direct to your mobile device using one of the following methods.

  • In the Apple News App on iOS search for Energy FM IOM and then just add it to your favourites
  • In the Google News & Weather App just search for Energy FM and then add us as a customised section
  • If you use an RSS Reader then just add our feed to your app, click here for our news RSS feed