Latest News Headlines
On-Air Now
Listen Live

Fire safety message at inquest

Wed, 08 Sep 2010

The inquest into the death of a 92 yr old woman from Douglas has found that there was no smoke alarm fitted in her house.

Elizabeth Thorn died after a small fire broke out at her home on Westmoreland Rd in April this year, overcoming Mrs Thorn with noxious fumes.

Mrs Thorn had lived in the property for almost 60 yrs when an electric fire caused combustible materials to ignite.

The officer who investigated the fire has called for all houses to be fitted with smoke alarms and reminded the island's homeowners that a free fire safety check is available to all homes.

The fire service will come to your home and carryout a free fire risk assessment and fit a smoke alarm.

This service is available by calling the Isle of Man fire service on 647303 or visiting


  • Fire Safety Message


Subscribe to get Energy FM News direct to your mobile device

You can get Energy FM News delivered direct to your mobile device using one of the following methods.

  • In the Apple News App on iOS search for Energy FM IOM and then just add it to your favourites
  • In the Google News & Weather App just search for Energy FM and then add us as a customised section
  • If you use an RSS Reader then just add our feed to your app, click here for our news RSS feed